Open DLL file with text editor or a hex editor. Check if the first two symbols in the file are MZ and the rest are binary symbols. Dynamic Link Library file (DLL file) is also called “Application Extension.” It is a compiled library that contains a set of procedures that is needed by an application to execute code.
Essentially, Microsoft Windows operating system is the only system using DLL files to store commands and procedures to run every application. But Mac OS and iOS can also support this file system to accommodate the cross-platform application.
About DLL File
Applications are not the only ones using the DLL files. Input/Output device driver procedures written in DLL format. Once the driver installed, the I/O device considered plug and play. DLL file is essential for every application installed on your system. Therefore, deleting or modifying one can result in errors within the program.
However, there are instances where the DLL files corrupted upon installation that causes a program to crash. When this corrupted file happens, reinstalling or downloading a fresh copy of the DLL file can solve this kind of issue. A DLL file may also contain viruses that can harm your system. So, be careful in downloading questionable DLL file and install an application that came from a legit distributor or a trusted website.
How to open file on Windows?
DLL file is most frequently located on your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Also, Windows OS stores its DLL components in the application store, which is the folder name is “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)”. When installing the application, some of the DLL files need to run an application is stored in these locations for future use. When you launch your Windows OS application, it will look for the required DLL files in the specified folder location then load it in memory.
How To Check if a File is DLL?
As mentioned above, the DLL file sometimes may contain viruses that may harm your computer. These viruses are sometime .exe File with a .dll extension. So it is crucial to check if the .dll is legit and safe.
- Use a text editor or Hex editor to open the DLL file.
- Check if the first two symbols are MZ, and the rest is composed of a binary number.
- Make sure that “Show System Files” enabled in your folder option.
- Check if the FileFile has a .dll extension by going to Folder Option > View Tab and uncheck “Hide extension for unknown file types.
You can also find basic details of the DLL file by right-clicking the file and choose “Properties.” Now, go to the Versions tab and you will be able to find the information such as the company and the developer that created the file. This is useful in finding the troubleshooting compatibility issue of the application you are running.
Best Apps to open a DLL File:
There are several apps that will help you. To make it easier for you, we list down two of the best Apps you can use to open DLLFile.
- Microsoft Visual Studio – is capable of viewing and opening DLL file. It can also edit a particular portion such as textual resources, messages, and thumbnails.
- Microsoft Disassembler – This app is part of the Microsoft Visual Studio, but this will allow you to view DLL file in a more detailed view. It will decompile binary code and convert it to assembly language to a much easier to understand than binary code.
Ways to Open DLL Files
There are several ways to open DLL s file. Read the details below to find out more options on how you can open a DLL file.
Registering a new DLL File
Having a new DLL file on your device needs to register before you can use it or open it. Here are the instructions on how you can do it:
- go to Windows Registry
- open the command prompt
- click the menu bar and type CMD
- click the Command prompt application
- in the command prompt, type “regsvr32 filenameofdll.dll” and press enter
Opening with Visual Studio Tool
Visual Studio Tool is one that you can use to open a DLL file on your desktop. Follow the instructions given below to learn how to open a DLL file on a Visual Studio Tool:
- go to the start menu
- find and open the Visual Studio Tool
- find the location of the DLL file
- press the icon for “Visual Studio Command Prompt” or “Developer Command Prompt”
- type in the bar “ILDASM. Exe” and press enter
- drag the .dll file into the ILDASM window
- click File> New then add the required .dll file
- manifest and the .dll file will appear
- press the files that appear, and you should be able to see its content
Troubleshooting DLL errors
You may be having a problem on how you will open a DLL file. Or you may encounter this in the future so it is better to be prepared. Here are some basic troubleshooting guides for the most common DLL errors:
- Reboot your system. Pretty basic standard in dealing with ‘missing .dll file.’ Sometimes the DLL file not launch correctly the first time you open your PC.
- Update your OS. Some software requires a particular version of the DLL file that your software might not have.
- Check for the deleted DLL file. You can check for deleted files by first examining your Recycle Bin.
- Use Recovery Tools. If you can’t find the missing DLL file in the Recycle Bin, you can use recovery tools such as Auslogics File Recovery.
- Reinstall the application. Try to uninstall the program then reinstall a fresh copy of the software. This way, you can fix some corrupted DLL files during the initial installation.
- System Restore. This is an effective way to find out if the DLL file just recently corrupted. You can choose system restore only to the point where the program was running smoothly.
- Update device driver. If the device software is the one throwing a DLL File error, it is best to update the device driver. In this way, any updates that require a higher version of the DLL file can be resolved.
- Scan PC for viruses and malware. As mentioned above, DLL files might contain viruses that may harm your computer. So, scanning your system might help in checking if the DLL files are infected. You can also check if some of the DLL files removed automatically by the anti-virus software, causing the ‘missing DLL file’ error.
Can’t open DLL File?
Some DLL file errors are caused by program uninstall, malware infestation, faulty hardware, and corrupt registry. To avoid this, you must keep your computer up-to-date in the latest updates that Microsoft releases.
Read other articles:
- How to Find a ABA Routing Number on Check
- The Benefits of a MX Player App
- How to Buy JioFi Online
- Windows 10 How to Show Which Process Is Using Certain DLL
- How Can I Install A Missing Windows 7 DLL File
How to open DLL?
> Open the command prompt
> Click the menu bar and type cmd
> Click the Command prompt application
> In the command prompt, type “regsvr32 filenameofdll.dll” and press enter
What program can open a DLL file?
> Microsoft Visual studio
> Microsoft Visual FoxPro
How to open a DLL file on Windows?
DLL file is an essential part of an application. Modifying and deleting this in your system might cause a lot of problems in your order. Therefore, refrain from tampering DLL files if you are not the creator/developer or an expert in this field. Many experts recommended or suggested the solution is to download the .dll File Repair Tool. This tool repairs and diagnose various Windows errors and improves or increases the performance of your PC.
Also, it can optimize memory, improving security, and increase the tuning in your system. DLL file is a Windows file used by the program to explore existing functions. DLL files allow Windows and other programs to gain functionality without keeping it built-in. This File is an essential part of Windows programming that helps in smooth and systematic programs.
Did this help you with DLL files? Leave your comments and suggestion below, and we will get back to them as soon as possible.